My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://backforsecondsblog.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Welcome! Have you linked up to this weeks Back For Seconds Social? Come join the party here!

Thursday, August 16, 2012

How to Make Your Own Chocolate Chunks

Pin It

Have you linked up at the Back For Seconds Social yet? Click here to join the party!
Also, I have created a new party page where you can add your own link party! Look up - see the Sweet Parties tab? If you don't already see your party there just add your url under the day of the week your party starts. Thanks!


Forgive me for sharing such a simple post with you today. I almost didn't hit publish because I didn't want to insult your intelligence. This really is SO simple. 




But you know how you always come across an idea/recipe/product and you think, "why didn't I think of that"? It's something so obvious that you feel silly that you didn't think of it on your own. This is one of those things, friends.
I came up with a recipe and wanted to use chocolate chunks, but all I had on hand was chocolate chips. I didn't want to run to the store just for one thing, so I improvised.  It worked like a charm and is super easy.


You are all about to say one of two things:
1. Huh, why didn't I think of that?
or
2. Does she think we're idiots? Everyone already knew this trick, right?

I hope we can still be friends even if I'm stating the obvious here ;)



Make Your Own Chocolate Chunks
by: Back For Seconds
  • 12oz chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate)
That's it, kids.

Carefully melt the chips in the microwave for 30 seconds then stir. Microwave again at 15 second intervals, stirring after each one until melted and smooth. Line a 8x8 pan with wax paper and pour the chocolate into the pan. Smooth with an offset spatula and refrigerate until hard. Lift the chocolate from the pan and peel off paper. Chop into chunks and freeze until ready to use. Easy peasy.


Linked to Weekend Potluck and some of these fab parties
Pin It

26 comments:

Becca said...

Found you via the Grant Life. Nice and simple idea. Great for when you need chocolate chunks. :)

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. said...

So smart! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

Ooooh. I want to add these to brownies. Or cookies. Or yogurt. Or, uh, my mouth? I get like that ALL the time where I wonder "why didn't I think of that? Duh!" and this is one of those times. So easy!

Michelle Day said...

Great tip! I've never made my own chocolate chunks, I always just use the chocolate chips. lol one question though. Why does the recipe say 12 chocolate chips? Is that really all you used? Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday this week. Have a wonderful weekend.
Michelle

keri @ shaken together said...

I never have chocolate chunks on hand, but I do now!! http://www.shakentogetherlife.com

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

It seems so simple but I would never have thought of it! You're a genius! :)

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

What a great tip! I NEVER have chocolate chunks on hand, but I do keep chocolate chips by the (multiple) bags-full!!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Brilliant!

Unknown said...

Omg yum!!! I am so glad I found your blog from the hop and just became your newest follower :)

Love love love food blogs and cannot wait to peruse yours even more.

xo Georgina

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Stopping by from Nifty Thrifty! Oh my this looks wonderful, and on top you gave such a great tip. So glad I seen this so I could head over and learn how to make my own chocolate chunks! Thanks!I'd be tickled if you'd shared this over at Sunday's Best tonight! Sharing is a good thing!

Mariel said...

Great idea!

Katie Drane said...

I had no idea how easy it was to make chocolate chunks. Thanks so much for posting on the COM link party!

Katie
www.funhomethings.com

Recipes We Love said...

Great idea!

SallysBakingAddiction said...

Stephanie girl.. I can honestly say... WHY didn't I ever think of this?? Simple "recipe" or not, I'm so glad you posted this because oftentimes I find myself wanting chunks in a recipe rather than chips and I'm not about to run to the store to pick up the chunks instead. This is brilliant! I feel silly not ever thinking to do this before. ;)

SkinnySimpleRecipes said...

Great idea!! Thanks.
Find you via(itsgoodtobethecook). I m your new follower

Unknown said...

I one of the people saying "Why didn't I think of that?" I almost always have chocolat chips on hand but not chocolate bars to chop. GENIOUS! thanks for sharing on Whatcha Whipped Up!
Dawn

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

I'm wishing I had some of your chocolate chunks in front of me! I wish I had thought of that - but you did. I was tickled you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

Anonymous said...

Totally thinking "why didn't I think of that". Story of my like, lol. Great idea for the simple minded, like me!

Anonymous said...

I NEVER come up with great ideas like this! Thanks so much for sharing. Visiting from TTT @ StoneGable. :)

Unknown said...

I don't know about you, but chocolate chunks don't last in my freezer very long... Coming to you from the bloom designs blog hop!

Anonymous said...

great idea! and super easy!

Crystelle Boutique said...

You know, I don' know why I never thought of that! This is a GREAT idea! I can totally do this....
Just have to plan ahead...
Thanks for the tip!

Crystelle
http://www.crystelleboutique.com

Cheerios and Lattes said...

Great tip. Thanks for sharing this on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you’ll be back again this week with some more great ideas!
-Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Ah, there's just nothin' better than chocolate. Great tip! Thanks for sharing with my readers.

Warmly, Michelle

Charlene@APinchofJoy said...

The simple ideas are always the best! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

Tobins' Tastes said...

I do stuff like this all the time because I am too lazy to run to the store : )

Thanks for sharing at Mealtime Monday! Can't wait to see what you link up tomorrow night!

Kaylee
www.couponingncooking.com

Post a Comment

I heart your comments! Let's chat ;)